Monday, May 25, 2009

Red, White and Blueberries

Happy Memorial Day! I am grateful to the men and women that have given their lives serving our country so that we have the privilege to live in freedom. I am especially thankful for freedom of religion and freedom of speech. I don't take these liberties for granted.

Hooray for the red, white and blue!

Speaking of blue...After a hike(of course)to Gaviota Peak we stopped at THIS blueberry patch to pick a bucket of blueberries:) It just opened for the season ten days ago. There were about two dozen people picking through the rows and rows of blueberry bushes. It was a bit on the warm side and I was slightly tired from our strenuous hike, but I was determined not to quit picking
until we had a FULL bucket of blueberries! This bucket is 2 lbs. of blueberries and represents
1 and 1/2 hours of picking by two people, believe it or not(though Jim stopped a couple of times to check on Riley-the-pup in the car). We had to really search for the bluest, ripest berries and since it's early in the season they were not so plentiful yet. Now, I just need to decide what to make with these beautiful berries...Any suggestions?

No comments: