Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Just a Thought

Martin Luther King's most well-known and well-loved speech, "I Have a Dream,"(see post below) was given on August 28, 1963 in Washington D.C.. My favorite sentence from it has always been:

"...I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Yet, for days, all I have read/heard about President Obama has focused on him being the first black (half, actually) President. I thought race wasn't supposed to be an issue!? He is a human being.

What about the content of his character?

1 comment:

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

Amen! I have noticed that too and the half-black thing gets to me too. His black dad wasn't even around. He was raised by a white woman! The other thing that gets to me is that suddenly Hollywood is all about "pitching in and doing our part." Couldn't they have been doing that for the last 8 years instead of complaining? I am actually excited to see what Obama does and I have a lot of hope in him. I just think some people's reactions to the whole thing are interesting.